[Elphel-support] Question on FPGA compression

Chee Kin TANG bcktang at msn.com
Sat Jun 11 19:52:52 PDT 2011

Hi,

having gone through the diagram and part of the codes for the FPGA, i have a question with regards to the data output.
looking at the diagram, the data in the bayer format is converted into yCbCr and then compressed, and is passed to the CPU through the CPU interface. what I do not understand is the format of the data output to the CPU. in the x333 codes, it is mentioned about JPEG encoding, so is the data output in JPEG format ? but I dont think I found the JPEG headers.

other than that, there is no mention of the CPU's function, so I had to guess, well, mostly for streaming, and for streaming, i guess there should be the OGG encapsulation and the ethernet stack in linux, plus the ATA interface as well.

well a brief above my application, its to accept inputs from a 4:2:2 YCbCr format, and needs to be compressed into JPEG/MJPEG + theora/h264.
i hope to get the theora to work instaed of the h264, but the specifications do not have a clear cut section about encoding. can anyone point me in the right direction ? thanks

CK