[Elphel-support] start free running mode on external trigger ?

Oleg K Dzhimiev oleg at elphel.com
Wed Jan 19 20:46:44 PST 2011

Hi Sash,

Could you provide with more details?

In some tests we need to start the recording with the sensor in free running
> mode, but we need to be able to precisely time the beginning of the video on
> some external trigger (let's say an arduino). It would be nice to sync
> multiple cameras in free running or triggered mode once on this external
> trigger and have them running in free running mode or on internal trigger
> later.

Here a single external trigger goes to each camera and is synced to a single
camera internal trigger. And that internal trigger generators are running
independently, right? In this case if you sync them once an error will be
accumulating.

In some configuration it would be interesting to have a master camera and
> slave cameras in triggered mode, but the first trigger should be made from
> an external device.

What is the latency requirement? Is it a guy pushing a button or some
sensor? What's the source of the initial trigger in general words? In case
of a button it's much easier to send a command over the network - I guess
that will not work for you for some reason.

What is the scene/event being filmed?

Best regards,
Oleg