[Elphel-support] netboot script errors out

Brian Burke burke.brian.a at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 20:13:26 PST 2011

Thanks Andrey and Heinrich - running as root solved the problem.

Worth noting - I still had the 'cat: kimage: No such file or directory'
error.  I resolved it by copying 'kimage' from the 8.0.9 image to the
directory I ran netboot from (hopefully this was valid?)

However, I'm not quite all the way there yet - the netboot script starts,
and I get:

Using internal boot loader: INTERNAL_NW - Network boot (default).
Using internal boot loader: INTERNAL2 - Level2 boot.
Starting boot...

However, I can't seem to get the camera into netboot mode!  I tried
plugging/unplugging the network cable 3, 4, 5, more times, holding for a
quick 3 count, slow 3 count, count 3 when the PoE injector turns green, etc.
 Then of course, leaving the cable plugged in gives me nothing - no NIC
lights, and the netboot scripts never progresses.

Am I doing this wrong, or is my 353 more hosed (i.e. boot block gone) than I
thought?  I'd like to connect to the serial port to see what I can see, but
I don't have a tool to get the panel off (!)  I'll try to get one tomorrow.

Assuming I can get the panel off, how do I use minicom (which I do have
installed) to "watch" what's going on?  Is it simply the Elphel-supplied
cables from camera serial port to the computer USB, and start minicom?  The
camera will be magically "found"?  Does minicom require any parameters?

Thanks Andrey and Heinrich for the help thus far.