[Elphel-support] 48volts vs 12volts

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 13 17:47:39 PDT 2010

--- On Tue, 14/9/10, Andrey Filippov <andrey at elphel.com> wrote:
Tom,

The "low voltage" camera version has very low margin for the 12V - the internal DC-DC is rated for 9-36V, but there is a diode bridge on the input that raises lowest input voltage to some 10.5. So if the actual voltage is lower than 12, and/or camera uses HDD that needs extra current for spin-up and the cable is long - you can get camera reboots caused by internal voltage dropping below acceptable level. So it is better suited for 19V (many laptop batteries) or 24V (on-board power for many flying machines). If you plan to use it in the car - I would recommend 48V - car power inverters are now easily availble and then you can use any regular mid-span PoE power supply or power injector.

Andrey

so there is no real advantage for 12v (19V/24V) unless you need portable power
for example say I get the 12V version how do I run it on these external laptop batteries (http://www.global-batteries.com.au/external-batteries-cPath-10-products_id-1329.html) for power failover reasons

tom