[Elphel-support] Development

Gary Crum crum at cs.utah.edu
Wed Oct 27 20:09:22 PDT 2010

Phil, I recently had the same questions.  There is more than one way to install the Elphel 353 software on the camera, but the web interface which accesses newly compiled software over the network by NFS is very convenient to use.  The process is described here:
http://blogs.elphel.com/2009/09/firmware-update-made-easier/

A command line method with script is described here for example.
http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Elphel_Software_Kit_for_Ubuntu#Installation_from_the_tarball_.28release_file.29

Although, I made a change to the RTSP server code in the camera, and I don't see that my change had the desired effect, so I am not completely confident in the compile and update process.  So, I'm not an authority here, but I thought I would reply since I've done this recently.  My problem may just be that I'm not too familiar with the camera code structure yet.  It is very cool (great) to have control, free code access and Linux on the camera.  Truly "free", in contrast to some otherwise interesting emerging platforms like Google Android and Apple iOS.  Those systems seem to have good developer tools that I like, at least.

The CVS code access worked for me with no special account or password access.  I mean, the instructions at
http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Elphel_Software_Kit_for_Ubuntu#For_developers
where it says
mkdir -p ~/elphel_projects; cd ~/elphel_projects
wget "http://downloads.sourceforge.net/elphel/elphel353_80_install_from_cvs.sh.tar.gz"
tar zxvf elphel353_80_install_from_cvs.sh.tar.gz
./elphel353_80_install_from_cvs.sh
[edit]
That script contains:
echo "press ENTER for password"