[Elphel-support] Global Shutter

Sebastian Pichelhofer sebastian.pichelhofer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 02:38:02 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:07, Abe Bachrach <abachrac at mit.edu> wrote:
> thanks for the quick response.
> In talking with one of the other people in lab, we realized that most of the
> experience that we had working with cameras with rolling shutters was with
> cheap webcams. We hoped that the readout on the elphel sensor *might* be
> fast enough that the rolling shutter effect would be insignificant.
> Unfortunately it doesn't sound like that is the case.
> - if the time gap is ~1/15 sec that means that if the camera is moving at
> 5m/s (~11mph) then camera would move 33cm during the readout period. 4X
> binning would make it a bit better, however the sensor would move ~8cm,
> which is still quite significant.

You mentioned you need only a small fraction of the 5 megapixels
resolution the sensor offers. If you reduce the WOI (Window of
Interest) you can increase the framerate and therefore the readout
time (more than with binning):

For example at 640x480 you can reach a max. of 126fps which would
reduce ERS artefacts to just a little more than 10% of the 33cm you
mentioned at 1/15s.

Regards Sebastian