[Elphel-support] camera bricked after re-flashing to elphel353-8.0.9 :(

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Wed Nov 17 19:33:39 PST 2010

Andrey,

> With the netboot you did not yet reach the point when the camera can try
> to use NFS, making it writeable could make sense before you the flash
> was erased - during reflashing the camera tried to write logs to the nfs.

I see. well, that it was not much help to point this 'issue' out at this
stage.

> To get to that point the netboot (server) should first transfer the
> bootloader (using the ROM bootloader running in the camera), then
> transfer the linux kernel and compressed root file system - there should
> be a lot of the output on the program console. So what you are missing
> is the initial communication between the ETRAX bootloader and the program.

yes, this was my impression all along (has I didn't understand the
insistance on the NFS issues)

> The packets from the camera reported by zeros - that is wrong, even if
> netboot is not running Wireshark ahould report AxisComm packets form the
> camera (the frequency starts with 10 packets/sec, than drops to 1/sec).

the frequency is correct (10 packets / sec in the beginning, then 1
packet / sec). and yes, they are all zeros.

> This initial ROM bootloader (one of the few Axis closed-source programs,
> btw) is hard-wired in the ETRAX and you could not erase it. The path
> between the CPU with on-chip ROM and the Ethernet connector is very
> short, so Wireshark should report correct AxisComm packets, if not -
> there is something wrong on the computer/network side. Can you please
> try running Wireshark on some other computer (no camera software needs
> to be running there) and make sure you do actually receive these
> AxisComm packets?

can you elaborate on what 'wireshark' is?

Akos