[Elphel-support] camera bricked after re-flashing to elphel353-8.0.9 :(

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Wed Nov 17 19:28:51 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Ákos Maróy <akos at maroy.hu> wrote:

> Dear Andrey et al,
>
> I made /nfs world writable:
>

> but, when I try to do the netboot thing, no log directory is created.
> the output ends as before:
>
> # netboot -mac 000E64081973 -ip 192.168.0.9 -nfs 192.168.0.20:/nfs -cmd
> update -d eth0 -nfs_dir /nfs
> Using internal boot loader: INTERNAL_NW - Network boot (default).
> Using internal boot loader: INTERNAL2 - Level2 boot.
> Starting boot...

Akos,

With the netboot you did not yet reach the point when the camera can try to
use NFS, making it writeable could make sense before you the flash was
erased - during reflashing the camera tried to write logs to the nfs.

To get to that point the netboot (server) should first transfer the
bootloader (using the ROM bootloader running in the camera), then transfer
the linux kernel and compressed root file system - there should be a lot of
the output on the program console. So what you are missing is the initial
communication between the ETRAX bootloader and the program.
The packets from the camera reported by zeros - that is wrong, even if
netboot is not running Wireshark ahould report AxisComm packets form the
camera (the frequency starts with 10 packets/sec, than drops to 1/sec). This
initial ROM bootloader (one of the few Axis closed-source programs, btw) is
hard-wired in the ETRAX and you could not erase it. The path between the CPU
with on-chip ROM and the Ethernet connector is very short, so Wireshark
should report correct AxisComm packets, if not - there is something wrong on
the computer/network side. Can you please try running Wireshark on some
other computer (no camera software needs to be running there) and make sure
you do actually receive these AxisComm packets?