[Elphel-support] how do I reflash the camera via netboot mode?

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Tue Nov 2 12:05:36 PDT 2010

On 11/2/10, Ákos Maróy <akos at maroy.hu> wrote:
> but, the image I get from the camera itself seems to be broken - there
> are vertical stripes on the image. I wonder if your received the image I
> sent you?

Akos, the image looks really bad - I'm afraid this time the board is
really broken. It is our fault - we suggested you to take the board
out and twist it (something wrong as I wrote before). As the result of
such twisting there are either the broken contacts between the pads
and the traces - either on the FPGA or on the video memory. ESD damage
can also be the cause. The only thing you can try while waiting for
the replacement board - try to carefully reinsert the cable that
connects the sensor board and the system one, at least at the end
where you already disconnected it. But the connection is rather
fragile so you might accidentally pull the cable on the other end too
while disassembling the camera.

> also, the /usr/local/bin/str seems to be taking 108% of CPU  time when running, with 3 such processes reported. I wonder if this is  normal.

You probably meant 108% of memory, not the CPU  - yes, that is normal.
The program uses huge (for the camera) 19MB circular buffer with mmap,
doing that twice to simplify processing of the compressed image files
that roll over - with such mmap usage all the image files can be
processed as continuous ones. And 3 instances - well it was designed
so, that the first one launches the RTSP server - it wasn't me who
wrote that code, so I'm not ready to describe all the details of the
str operation. Multiple (3) instances of PHP - that is my
responsibility, I configured it lighttpd as a compromise between
memory and performance, these instances are waiting to process PHP
scripts using FastCGI.