[Elphel-support] how do I reflash the camera via netboot mode?

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Tue Nov 2 07:34:16 PDT 2010

Andrey,

> I'm very sorry you have a problem with the camera and we are working
> on sending you a replacement board, because if the camera worked
> originally, you did not modify anything (software or settings) and it
> stopped - it is most likely the hardware problem and we are interested
> to get the failed board back in the same state so we can analyze it.
> We arranged that shipping and that otherwise can be expensive.

I see. thanks for the information.

> It is not exactly correct:
>> While I've written to elphel, they have not directly responded to my inquiry.

> "Some people" included me, I work for Elphel since 2001. And this
> Mailing List is the only way to get our technical support.

indeed. I'm sorry for my remark above.

> Yes, I understand that - we worked on arranging to ship you the
> replacement board so you can send us the failed one in preferably the
> same (not re-programmed) state so we can analyze the nature of the
> failure and see if it is possible to reduce such problems in the
> future

ok, so I won't try to re-flash it then. please contact me for the
shipment details in a direct e-mail. (it's going to be complicated, as I
will be on the move for about 3 weeks, starting this Saturday)

> Akos, please understand that community of Elphel camera users is much
> smaller that those of the software users - you need to have a piece of
> expensive hardware, not just download something over the internet. And
> your problem was hardware-related, so our users who may be by their
> computers at that time were not able to respond you - you need our
> (Elphel) help.
>
> Your first request on our IRC was on Sunday, October 31 at 03:33AM local time
> 10/31 03:33 <maroy> hi
> 10/31 03:33 <maroy> I have a question: how can one reset an elphel
> camera to factory defaults?
>
> And unfortunately when I woke up Sunday morning and was going to reply
> - you already disconnected - it happened before five in the morning
> our time - you probably know that Elphel is in Salt Lake City, Utah,
> USA.
>
> 10/31 04:37 * maroy (~maroy at ...telekom.hu) has left #elphel

yes, this is correct. I only wanted to point out here that I tried every
method possible to get help. and, unfortunately the issue isn't yet
solved. first, my impression was that the solution is to re-flash the
camera via netboot - for which I still don't have detailed instructions
on how to do. but now I see I should send the board back to you.

> I would repeat - we are very sorry fro the inconvenience - you will
> receive the replacement shortly and send us the failed board back
> later.

thank you.

> Akos, as you did not change any settings in the camera, you do not
> need to reflash it - we'll send you the replacement. It will help us
> if you can send the failed board back in the same software state so we
> can try to troubleshoot the problem here.

thank you. as said above, please contact me regarding the shipment
details, as most probably the board needs to be sent somewhere other
than the original shipment.

Akos