[Elphel-support] initial issues with a new elphel camera

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Mon Nov 1 11:35:24 PDT 2010

Andrey,

> You do not need to bend motherboard to make camera work. That was a
> problem the assembly factory had more that a year ago (sometimes
> soldering faults on the balls of the Axis ETRAX chip), but since that
> we  used different PCB supplier and modified stencil to have different
> thickness under different chips with ETRAX having it thicker. And so
> ETRAX balls (1.27mm pitch) get more solder paste than surrounding memory
> chips with 0.8mm pitch so that problem is gone and we haven't seen a
> single board failure of that kind since.

thanks, so this is clear now..

> The advice to bend the PCB was valid for the failed older boards, but IT
> IS NOT VALID for the newer cameras. So we need to look for other
> problem. You do not have the 10369 interface board, do you? Do you have
> the development tool chain installed - we can try to boot camera over
> the network with and see if it will come up.

no, I don't have the 10369 interface board.

so far I don't have the dev toolchain either. I'm looking here:
http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Elphel_Software_Kit_for_Ubuntu

while I'm finding detailed information for the toolchain (gcc cross-,
compiler, etc.), I'm not finding info here on how to boot the camera
over the network.. where would I find such information?

> Also - you tried different power injectors, but have you tried different
> network devices (computer ports, switches) on the other end?

yes, I tried to plug in the camera into a 10/100Mb/s hub, and also
directly into the laptop's RJ45 connector - which is auto-sensing for
detecting a cross-cable setup. Unfortunately I got the same results :(

Akos