[Elphel-support] Temporarily disable the digital compass on 353?

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Mon May 31 11:12:26 PDT 2010

Phil,

it is possible to disable compass/gps if you edit /etc/init.d/usb script in
the camera or delete/rename /usr/html/start_gps_compass.php

The limit for the image compression quality with compass/gps enabled  may be
due to several reasons:
1 -  CPU usage by the compass/gps applications
2 - increased size of the data that is copied by the driver with each frame

To find out what part is responsible you can let compass and/or GPS be
recognize at start up (that would format Exif headers and set amount of data
copied with each frame and start the compass and/or gps applications) but
then later kill those applications. And see what maximal compression quality
you can achieve in that case. If killing application helps, we can try to
optimize them (or just make them re-run after several frames). You may also
try to kill str (streamer) if you do not need it.

Alternative solution would be to add a feature to camogm to watch fro the
buffer size and dynamically adjust image quality if the buffer is
dangerously low.

Unfortunately I just noticed a bug in the software - when you adjust image
quality there is a delay between that in  the FPGA and in the frame header.
I'll work on it.