[Elphel-support] Temporarily disable the digital compass on 353?

Phil phil at ergovideo.com
Mon May 31 01:24:48 PDT 2010

Hi Ive done about 12hours of filming with the new digital compass including
a Classic cycle race & stages of the Tour of Italy. The problem with the
compass is that it seems to cause a buffer overrun error when recording at
the 90% quality I normally use. This results in the recording stopping when
the scenes become complex. The solution was to reduce the quality until the
recording became more reliable. 85% seems to work most of the time although
it can still stop in the right complex dark conditions.  I would love to
record again at the 90% I used before as although 85% sounds not a lot
different it does have a huge effect on the level of compression artefacts
after rendering to the small bitrates I use for streaming & DVD.

So the question is..

 Is there a way for me to turn on & off the compass prior to recording?
Could there be a solution to record the stream at 90% without any breaks
while also adding the extra exif data from the compass - recording via
camogmgui?  (Sebastian?)

grts Phil