[Elphel-support] UDP Image server

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Thu May 6 16:38:22 PDT 2010

Hi Leonardo,

> Hi guys I would like to know how could I create an UDP server in Elphel
> 353, in order to deliver images with 640x480 grayscale resolution. With fps
> around 120.  (Is it even possible?)

Yes, it is possible provided you have enough light so the exposure time will
be less than 1/120 sec (it is so in most cases) . You can setup the internal
camera streamer to run in multicast mode, it then will use UDP.

> I also know that there is some raw image server but I don’t know how could
> I use it…. And it’s throuhput (Images per second)

You mean acquiring "raw" (uncompressed)  image data? It is possible, but
will be very slow (far less than 120 fps) - that mode is only designed for
test purposes, software debugging. If you need  high quality images you may
just use gamma=0.5 (matches sensor shot noise) and high JPEG quality
settings. Even if the camera had high speed raw mode 640x480*120fps
~=37Mpix/sec. Even if you packed then so 3 pixels use 3 bytes (sensor output
is 12 bit and the camera uses all the dynamic range when sending data in
JPEG/JP4 mode), you will need some 55 MiB/sec bandwidth. The 100baseT that
camera has is 5 times slower

> Those images will be processed by some external computer….

Yes, understood. For monochrome images the grayscale JPEG is fine, for color
ones you may use JP4 to bypass color interpolation in the camera.