[Elphel-support] Temporarily disable the digital compass on 353?

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Sun Jun 6 08:46:22 PDT 2010

Hello Phil,

It is very difficult to troubleshoot hat issue without having more precise
information. As I understood you originally - the problem was proven to
depend on physical existence of compass+GPG, when you disconnected them the
maximal quality was higher. If that is not the case we need to start over
again.

What firmware version are you using now?
What was the last that you believe was good?
Maybe you can try some intermediate ones to see when it broke?
Can you find some particular setup - preferably indoors with artificial
light to reliably reproduce the problem and simplify testing?

camogmgui should show you the state of the buffer (it did not work in some
earlier versions, so you may look through CVS logs -
http://elphel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/elphel/elphel353-8.0/packages/web/353/camogmgui/camogmgui.php?view=logor
ask Sebastian). The state of the buffer can show that the recording is
about to break because of the buffer overrun, Or maybe there is some other
bug and buffer is not overrun?

If need for testing -  you may use later camogmgui files (php+html+js) with
the older firmware (to watch buffer there), you may safely copy them on top
of older firmware, but that is not the case for camogm binary - the binary
uses camera parameters that have some addresses changed between versions,

Latest firmware has some bugs fixed, as I wrote before - no broken images
when you change quality and camera does not have to recalculate quantization
tables it uses for each frame recorded or output. But I'm still actively
working on it and there can be some new bug accidentally introduced. When
the FPGA code will be finalized (I'm touching it less and less now) we'll
need to test it on multiple production cameras to make sure it works on all
of them, maybe adjust some timing parameters. The firmware will be renamed
to 8.1 when these changes will be over.

With the dynamic quality change working (not breaking images) you may try it
manually - see if you can prevent buffer overrun by reducing quality (and
later restoring it back). I would recommend using just parsedit.php or even
better - add this quality field to camogmgui interface (not the camvc as
camvc sends multiple requests and loads camera CPU more. Additionally it is
better to avoid slider for the quality that can send multiple intermediate
quality values to the camera, and each new value requires re-calculation
(and some CPU time) When you switch berween last 8 different quality values
- no calculation, the tables are cached.