[Elphel-support] About auto white balance

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Tue Jun 1 22:42:53 PDT 2010

> Hi Andrey
>>     We made a CCD(Sony ICX274AL) interface board to replace the CMOS
>> board(10338 board),CCD board used an FPGA to simulate CMOS control
>> interface,can be controlled by 353 board.

Hi Melady,

Interesting project! We are often asked about availability of the CCD front
end for the Elphel model 353 camera.

>     Development process have encountered some problems related to automatic
>> white balance,partial green image when the camera Backlight.
>>     Can you give us some of the auto white balance work flow chart or
>> algorithm document?

White balance algorithm that we use relies on some white objects in the
selected area. And "white object" assumes that the brightest part of the
image is white and it is true in most (not all) of the cases. Such algorithm
can not work when some areas are over exposed (as on your example), I would
recommend adjust parameters of the autoexposure so it will not try to
balance colors if there is a lot of overexposure.