[Elphel-support] mage Noise problem

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Sat Jan 30 14:00:18 PST 2010

> Here's how these images look like when opened in Photoshop:
>
> http://www.ndl.kiev.ua/downloads/elphel/image_jpg.png
> http://www.ndl.kiev.ua/downloads/elphel/image_raw8.png
>
> So, not only images differ visually - even levels do look differently.
> However, when I tried to use ImageMagick as you've suggested to convert RAW
> to JPEG and different tool (IrfanView) for results visualization - they
> match exactly indeed.
>
> I promise to never use Photoshop again for any kind of images comparison!

Alexandre, it is still interesting - why Photoshop slightly scaled contrast
one of the "raw" image. Histograms still differ, especially on the 255 level
- but that is natural when you have some saturated pixels and minor
variations in illumination change that last histogram bin.

I used Photoshop too, and even then (in 2001) it had some nice features I'm
still missing now in Gimp - possibility to open raw (like in the camera -
array of values) images directly, and it was able to work with 16-bit
images.