[Elphel-support] linescan mode

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Mon Jan 11 10:36:59 PST 2010

> does that mean there are plans to fix and revive that code for current
> models? or not?

No special plans - I just tried to preserve that code through the updates,
did not remove it.

> to be honest it seems to me this was implemented to showcase a application
> (or specific request) and never got used any further by anyone.

Yes, you are right - that was something I've spent a week hoping it can help
make other applications. But nobody used it as far as I know.

> I am unable to do necessary FPGA coding myself, but I would be willing to
> document its usage and or maybe build a frontend for it if necessary
> (actually it was poorly documented and it took me long time to figure out
> how to use it since you do not just set the camera into linescan mode, you
> have to make some explicit choices and settings otherwise you get the
> impression it just does not work or crash...)

Michael, most likely (but I'm not 100% positive) the FPGA code does not need
any changes, just the software. And unfortunately we do not have sufficient
resources to do that job. I can only offer some help by answering particular
questions related to that code, not to do the actual coding.

> I am aware thought that this is a probably commercially pretty
> uninteresting niche application. but I think it is a worth to have in a
> general purpose camera (as I come to see the elphe line) and still might be
> an affordable alternative to dedicated line-scan systems in some areas..

I hoped it can be used in photo-finish applications - less pricey that
dedicated systems. We may partially sponsor such project, but not organize
it.