[Elphel-support] stereo camera: resizing and combined frames mode problems

Sebastian Pichelhofer sebastian.pichelhofer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 00:06:32 PST 2010

Hi Philip

The issue you are describing is a general global issue with motion
picture cameras and fluorescent light.

The easiest fix is to change FPS and shutter speed to match the
flickering frequency or a multiple/division of it.

Try a shutter speed (exposure time) of 1/50 (25 or 50 fps), if you
need less motion blur try 1/100, 1/150...
If you still see lower frequency flickering (frequency of 1Hz or less)
then the power grid frequency is just a little bit off 50Hz and you
have to fine-tune your exposure time. Since the Elphel camera can use
any float value as exposure time you should be able to get perfectly
flicker free footage with a little bit of fine tuning.

Some more info on the internet:
http://ezinearticles.com/?All-About-Fluorescent-Light-Flicker-in-Cameras!&id=3193172

Regards Sebastian