[Elphel-support] low framerate in stereo setup

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Mon Aug 16 07:00:23 PDT 2010

Jorick,

there is no way to scale resolution "a bit" with any Bayer mosaic sensors
and the ones used  in Elphel cameras is no exception.  Yes, most sensors
have decimation mode, but that is mostly for viewfinder application (related
binning is useful in low light conditions during night time when you need to
switch in the same sensor high res/low sensitivity- low res/high
sensitivity), because resolution drops more that proportional to number of
pixels (and so the frame rate). Perfect decimation is only possible in the
monochrome sensors See for yourself:

In the full-res mode you get:

G R G R G R G R
B G B G B G B G
G R G R G R G R
B G B G B G B G
G R G R G R G R
B G B G B G B G
G R G R G R G R
B G B G B G B G

in decimated by 2 in each direction (most popular) - "x" - skipped pixel:

G R x x G R x x
B G x x B G x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
 G R x x G R x x
B G x x B G x x
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x

There are 2-pixel gaps, not 1 pixels ones as in monochrome senors"

Y Y Y Y
Y Y Y Y
Y Y Y Y
Y Y Y Y

Y x Y x
x x x x
Y x Y x
x x x x

If you still want to use decimation in your application - the sensor and
Elphel camera support various decimation (and binning) modes. You can
control these modes from php, parmeter editor or from camera GUI (camvc).

Andrey