[Elphel-support] GPS data log bug - 353E

Phil phil at ergovideo.com
Mon Apr 19 10:29:21 PDT 2010

Hi All

During filming yesterday I discovered that the recording of video with the
GPS/KML function enabled with the Garmin 18 would stop at seemingly random
spots.

recording without the GPS unit attached works great. Recording with the GPS
starts ok but you can visibly see that the frame rate displayed in the
camogmgui would be slow to update. Eventually the cameragui would grind to a
halt . I was unable to remove the GPS so rebooting & turning on the camera
control page before the meta data displayed that it had seen the GPS unit
seemed to help & I was able to record the last 1hr of the race with no
issues. Sometimes I had a Buffer overrun message pop up when restarting the
recording but then it would start after.

It felt to me that the buffer memory on the camera was not getting cleared.
I was recording images for the kml at 1 every 10seconds. For the 1st part of
the race, I only turned on the recording for a few periods but could see
that it was a bit unreliable. I decided to drop from 90% quality down to 65%
(not really any good for my use of the footage) & I was later able to record
for some hours mid race. I returned to 90% for a bit hoping to get some high
quality film for the main part of the race but that soon locked up. I then
filmed at 80% & that seemed ok for a while but then I started to have
problems with recording stops.

In the office Its hard to replicate this at 90% (not enough stuff in the
image to get the bit rate up) but going to 93% causes a lock up after
50seconds.

It would be really great to get the GPS data thing working as I really feel
we can use this extra data in many different ways. Does anyone have any
ideas for a solution other then just not using the USB port?

grts Phil