[Elphel-support] trigger tes t program..

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Mon Dec 14 09:05:38 PST 2009

Kaien,

I do not think it is a good idea to try to write a new application instead
of understanding, what exactly does not work in the existent ones, you can
spend more time that way and it will be more difficult to maintain that
program.

camogm application is rather flexible - it can record in different formats
(it can generate KML files with when compass and GPS are attached to the
camera), takes care of multiple possible problems (we use it fro a long time
now), so does the imgsrv (but it is intended to transfer images over the
network). And as we never had the problems that you are getting I would
rather try to troubleshoot those problems - they are likely related to
either wrong usage of the programs or - something may be different in your
setup.

How did you debounce the trigger from your button? Did you put some one-shot
or other circuitry that prevents multiple pulses to be sent to the camera -
that can be a problem as camera assumes clean pulses.

For testing I would rather use one camera as a "master" and others as
"slaves", if there is something not clear in such setup - please ask. There
is a sync.php script that you can use to test the cameras connection. In
such setup you can specify exact period  and make sure you can get good
images that way.

Starting to write a new application without clear understanding - what is
wrong with existen ones is very likely to give you troubles in the future.
Even if it seems to work OK it may fail when something changes (period of
the pulses, exposure time, number of files on the CF, network congestion -
you name it.

Andrey