[Elphel-support] 10359: cables length and chaining

Alexander Tsvyashchenko lists at ndl.kiev.ua
Sun Dec 13 14:01:44 PST 2009

Hi Andrey,

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:07:38 -0700, Andrey Filippov wrote:

> 1) We've got the information from Andrey that max cable length that was
>> tried is around 12".
>>
>> In our setup we'll need longer cables - min 16", most likely even
longer.
>> What would be the best way to do it?

[skipped]
> Another solution for increased cable length - design/order a custom flex
> circuit instead of the flex cable (flex jumper) we currently use. Use a
> similar trick as with 80-conductor IDE cables connected to 40-pin
> connectors
> - have ground conductor paired with each signal. And have the same
> 30-contact, 0.5mm pitch, 0.3mm thick cable ends to fit into existent
> boards.

Thanks for information! We'd like to explore the approach with "custom
cables" further - but for that I'll need some additional information from
your side.

1. From parts list for 10353 I've found you use Hirose FH12-30S-0.5SV-55
connector; however, nor 10338, neither 10359 seem to have parts list on
wiki. Do they use the same connector that is used on 10353 board?

2. Does 10373 board use the same connectors? (wasn't able to find any
information about its parts/circuit diagrams on wiki - should I look for
10373 data somewhere else?)

3. If I understood circuit diagrams correctly, currently ground pins are
1, 2, 11, 14, 25, 30 - right? Which of these are safe to assume to remain
grounded in 10373? (and 10379 in the future? ;-)

4. Do you have any recommendations as to the manufacturers of flex
circuits?

5. Did I understood Constantine correctly that if we're going to order
custom flex cables and send them to you - you should be able to perform
testing with them?

6. If you have any other hints/suggestions as to the design/ordering of
long flex cables suitable for Elphel hardware - I'd be glad and thankful to
get those ;-)

Thanks!

--
Good luck!                                     Alexander