[Elphel-support] auto exposure on multi sensor setup & binning question.

Oleg support-list at support.elphel.com
Wed Jun 14 12:33:13 PDT 2017

Hi,

Jorick, with the limited dynamic range of the small format sensors it is a
> challenge to capture maximal data from the image, and there is no universal
> fits-all set of autoexposure parameters. We probably need to create some
> tutorial about it.

Here are a few screenshots with gui and parameters you might need to
control histogram window and the autoexposure program -
https://wiki.elphel.com/wiki/Autoexposure

> I could probably also modify the streamer to output a lower resolution.
> h264/h265 support would be even better. The idea is to run the analytics
> and streaming and only grab the interesting frames in raw from the circular
> buffer.
> How difficult would a color space conversion to YUV be on the elphel?
> We're streaming so much the same color (green ;-) and this would save
> bandwith, it would also be easier to change the brightness on parts of the
> image.

JPEGs are YCbCr 4:2:0 encoded.

There are a few other formats:
https://wiki.elphel.com/wiki/JP4#Format_variations
Most of the time we use JP4 to preserve pixel data, though it does not save
bandwidth.
I will look into 'jp4diff' - see if it still works and try to decode it.
Will let you know.

Best regards,
Oleg Dzhimiev
Electronics Engineer
phone: +1 801 783 5555 x124 <(801)%20783-5555>
Elphel, Inc.