[Elphel-support] Extension of stereobase and elongation sensor's cable length

Клещенков Анатолий aktech at inbox.ru
Thu Apr 16 15:34:00 PDT 2015

17.04.2015 0:05, Oleg пишет:

> We do have some monochrome sensor boards.
> You can buy them but using a monochrome sensor reduces overall
> resolution of the sensor+lens combination. And most of nowadays the
> applications deal with color sensors.
> So, you can:
> a. Keep using a color sensor - just work with R, G and B channels
> separately, then combine.
> b. Get a monochrome sensor - but use a green color band filter in
> front of the lens to a have better resolution.

I am not familiar with sensor's details but I know that in color sensor
actual resolution for every color channel  is lower than resolution
provided in specification.
For example if we consider color sensor 200 x 200 px then actual
resolution for Red and Blue channel is 100 x 100 because of Bayer
filter. Final image resolution 200 x 200 is obtained by interpolation.
Most of mine applications are based on stereovision and processing of
monochrome images. As you know most of the modern stereo-matching
techniques operate with grayscale images too.
My another knowledge is that monochrome sensor has a much higher
sensitivity than color one at the same resolution. That is why I guess
that using the monochrome sensor let me obtain higher ratio of
signal/noise at the same resolution than color sensor. What do you think
about that?
 From the other hand you mentioned about reducing of overall resolution
of the sensor+lens combination. Do you mean reason of light dispersion
in the lenses?  Actually we have done a lot of experiments to find out a
acceptable quality of the lenses for 5PMx resolution. We use now high
quality computar M0918FIC-MPlenses. These lenses gives the best results
of the all we try but anyway I suppose these lenses do not utilize a
full resolution of the sensor. I think so because images analysis shows
that high contrast contour line appears at the images like smooth
contour with several pixels width. At the same time at the half (about
1MP) resolution we obtain much more contrast contour.

--
С уважением, Клещенков Анатолий.
г. Ростов-на-Дону
e-mail: aktech at inbox.ru