[Elphel-support] Replacement - Garmin 18x 5Hz

support-list support-list at support.elphel.com
Wed Jul 17 10:26:01 PDT 2013

Hello Axel,

There is no standard pinout for the DSUB9 connector that has power and 1pps signal, this is probably why Garmin does not provide such device with connector. The cable you received from us should have visible place where the 2 cables are connected (from the GPS and from the RS232 cable). If you cut the cables open you will be able to reconnect wires to the new GPS unit using the same colors of the wires.

Additionally there was an error on our side - Garmin GPS needs 5V, not 3.3V power (the interface board is capable of both) and I'm not sure how is your unit configured - you may measure voltage on the camera RS232 connector between pins 4 (power) and 5 (gnd) - pinout is on the wiki page http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=103696#J2_-_DSUB-9_.28male.29_for_external_GPS_connection .
If the voltage is 3.3V (not 5V) you will need to carefully open the camera and make the changes on the PCB - cut the jumper JP5 and solder over JP4 - they are shown on the circuit diagram linked from the wiki page, we'll upload a better picture of the jumpers on the PCB.