[Elphel-support] elphel queries

Oleg support-list at support.elphel.com
Thu Sep 27 12:23:31 PDT 2012

Hi Venkat,

1) Does the elphel support RAW format? Is the raw format readable by dcraw?

No. We use our own raw format -
JP4<http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=JP4>.
We have tools for converting it to other formats.

> 2)  is sw support available to remotely drive it to take picture and
> transfer it to PC.

There are several options:
1. Install an NFS server on the host PC, mount it to the camera (from the
camera's command line), then start recording - the images will be recorded
in MOV format - that can be splitted afterwards.
2. The newest image is available at "http://camera-ip:8081/bimg" - we don't
have an application or script for auto downloading but it's very easy to
create

> *wget http://192.168.0.9:8081/bimg -O path/image.jpeg* (or jp4)

> If so how long does is the time interval between asking the elphel to grab
> a 5 megapixel  frame and having the frame full downloaded using the gigabit
> interface to a remote PC

The camera can run in different modes:
a. the default is "free run" - after an image is requested the latest one
willl be downloaded.
b. internal trigger from an internal counter
b. external trigger through the sync port
c. external trigger through the network

The trigger command for c. is:

> *http://192.168.0.9:8081/trig/pointers*

The camera's network interface is limited to 100Mb/s. At a compression
quality of 100% and the file size 2.5MB - the download time is ~200ms. The
delay from the trigger command to the image acquisition (starting of the
exposure) over the network is about ~1us.

Best regards,
Oleg Dzhimiev
Electronics Engineer
phone: +1 801 783 5555 x124