[Elphel-support] about data rates

Carlos Padial palidoestudio2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 14:04:19 PDT 2012

hi

I have been using the camera at diferent sizes and compressions, and trying
to find the limits (and looking at flavios article) i have some doubts...

when recording to the hdd and streaming at the same time,(with same res as
Flavio, 2064x896 what i call FMAX :)
my limit is 240-250K framesize (at 25fps)

when recording without streaming i can go up to 340K.

I mean, when i pass this limmit the buffer overflow and there are (soon or
later) dropped frames.

just to be sure. My internal hdd has the same transfer speed as an external
sata hdd? are this values normal?

i collect some data from the hdd:

hdparm -T -t /dev/hda1

/dev/hda1:
Timing buffer-cache reads:    44 MB in 0.51 seconds = 87681 kB/s
Timing buffered disk reads:   43 MB in 3.02 seconds = 14537 kB/s
[root at Elphel353 /root]3433# hdparm /dev/hda1

/dev/hda1:
 multcount      =  0 (off)
 IO_support     =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq      =  0 (off)
 using_dma      =  1 (on)
 keepsettings   =  0 (off)
 readonly       =  0 (off)
 readahead      = 256 (on)
 geometry       = 16383/255/63, sectors = 234441640, start = 8

where can i find more info about the process running inside the camera?
which one are necessary and which not when recording and streaming.

best regards

--
Carlos Padial
surreal.asturnazari.es