[Elphel-support] Camera Calibration

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Fri Jul 13 16:22:26 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Sinaya Dayan <sdayan at njrati.org> wrote:

> Hello Andrey,****
>
> ** **
>
> I got a response back from our calibration people who suggested that
> Elphel preforms the calibration and provides us with the .CAL file with
> some minimum requirements. Like yourself, they do not know why the
> calibration is not successful, they have been calibrating many cameras but
> this is the first time they are unable to complete the task. At this point
> we need solutions since we cannot proceed with our project as planned. We
> are considering replacing the camera if we are unable to perform the
> calibration but would really like to explore all options before making a
> decision. We intend to use it for aerial image collection and the software
> we use for processing requires calibration. Without it nothing can be
> accomplished.

Hello Sinaya,

I'm very sorry you are not able to use Elphel camera because you were not
able to calibrate it. I tried to explain how I see the reason - the lens
you use is a high quality (and low distortion) one and it is oversized
(2/3" format for the 1/2.5" sensor) for the sensor so it really is a
challenge to measure distortions, and the targets you tried to use for it
are not adequate. It is also understandable that people who processed your
files could not understand the problem - normal cameras do not have
oversized lenses so they all have visible distortions especially in the
very corners of the image, but the corners of 1/2.5" sensor correspond to
the nearly center region of the 2/3" lens.

> ****
>
> Would you be able to perform the calibration for us and send us the file?
> (I will forward a list of our requirement s as soon as MosaicMill sends it
> to me).

No, we do not offer such service for all lenses, currenlty we only
calibrate f=4.5mm lenses we use for Eyesis. And we use different
calibration method and calibration target (we need higher precision) so we
use different format and can not provide you with .CAL files.

> ****
>
> Is there another way to communicate with you other than the support list?

Sales matters are handled through our ticket system and phone, but the only
technical support we provide is over the mailing list.

Andrey