[Elphel-support] Camogm triggered mode

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Wed Jan 11 08:34:18 PST 2012

Dimitrios,

Why do you need external triggering? To reduce number of images when the
camera moves slowly?
If that is correct, I would recommend you just skip some images from
recording, keeping the sensor frame rate high. That will allow the
autoexposure to work properly.

As for the variable rate recording with camogm - it is just prevented by
the software to make players happy - currently when the camogm detects
frame period change, it closes current file and starts a new one (that test
can be easily bypassed). Actually single-frame (maybe more than one frame -
I'll need to look in the code)  drops can be tolerated - that is done to
continue recording when hi-res image snapshot is made.

While mov format we use does not support variable frame rate, with the
timestamps embedded in each frame it is not critical. Actually when
processing mov files in Eyesis we completely skip the MOV file header and
just split the remaining of the file into individual JPEG (JP4 actually as
the JPEG format does not provide quality we need) frames. That also means
that if MOV file is corrupted (camera records the MOV file header when
closing the file, so power loss during recording will result in a file with
no header) it can still be split into individual frame files.

Andrey