[Elphel-support] Compiling bug fix for VLC streaming

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Fri Feb 24 15:05:06 PST 2012

Eric, ETRAX is little-endian.

Are you trying just to try the driver in the camera or prepare it to
be included in the camera software for others?
In any case, to make the software built it has either be included in
http://elphel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/elphel/elphel353-8.0/subdirs.list?view=markup
or one of the higher level Makefile should invoke it - directly or
indirectly

The second requires more steps (and independent testing that it does
not break things for others before being included) and we'll
definitely try to help. If the driver is small and contains few files
it can be just copied to the source tree. If it is a port of a large
package, it should be installed/patched from the original location. In
that case:
1- it should be referenced in
http://elphel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/elphel/elphel353-8.0/configure-files/post?view=markup
, the copy should be uploaded to our mirror so installation will not
fail if one of the other sites is down (or changed/removed the needed
file/version)
2 - it should have configure_elphel (like here:
http://elphel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/elphel/elphel353-8.0/apps/php-5.2.9/)
- that file is responsible for patching the source to port it to the
camera
3 - src.list should include all new files and synchronized with the
CVS. src list is used to create the modified distribution
4 - target.list - I already explained earlier is needed to verify that
all files installed (different packages install differently and do not
have a single way to verify installation)

The first step to verify the new modified distribution (that you can
make yourself, before committing to the CVS) - download the newly
generated tar.gz file and build it on the other computer (or at least
in the directory, that does not see "distfiles" - cache of the
downloaded  archives), so the build script will have to download
everything from the Internet.

Andrey