[Elphel-support] Noise and frame rate ?

support-list support-list at support.elphel.com
Thu Dec 6 23:54:17 PST 2012

Daniel,

The datasheet for the sensor we are using is available at Aptina web site and there is no "lock" icon by the PDF, so you can download it without registration/signing NDA. Sensitivity of the camera is all defined by the sensor - there is no external ADC that could influence it. Datasheet explains how to calculate the frame rate for different window size and binning, but I believe the frame rate in your application will be defined by the minimal exposure to detect the image you need.

We did not perform any measurements of the sensitivity of the sensor ourselves, my only measurement was the full well capacity that defines SNR for large signal (~8500e-).

It is possible to read all the 12 bits from the sensor, but that will be slow.  And does not really provide much more information than the same data non-linearly encoded to 8 bits (keeping one count of the output code approximately half of the noise for that output level). With just 8500e- FWC, the shot noise is prevailing for most of the output range, so gamma=0.5 does the job well.

Andrey

---- On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 14:48:12 -0800 rouan<daniel.rouan at obspm.fr> wrote ----

Hello,

My application is at low light level and I've several questions :

- what is the greatest frame rate allowed when just recording (not
streaming) while binning 4x4 or more ?
- What is the noise figure when binning 4x4 or even more, at this
greatest frame rate allowed ?
- Are the 12 bits of the ADC on the sensor available on the stored
data ?

Thanks,

Daniel