[Elphel-support] starting an article...

flavio soares qazav3.0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 07:37:35 PDT 2012

Hi, Eric,

Thanks for the compliments!

About the lens, I'll tell you the little I've known so far. The most
important thing to know is the size of the sensor (in actual terms, it is
considered 1/2.5") and the mount. In theory, any C-mount lens made for old
movies (especially Super 8 or 8mm that have the film area close to the
sensor area) should work - but, as I say in the article, mine is best
working only at aperture 4 or 5.6. Only with close objects it gets fine
results at 1.8 or 2.8. So, if Elphel has a native ISO of 100 or so, in
practical terms - photography at the setting - I will have to think of
light as if it were ISO 50, which makes my lens also dark.

And stick to milimeters under 7.5mm or 6mm. I am constructing an adapter
here to use a 0.42x conversor, so that my lens becomes (a darker) 3.15mm.

I am trying to find a video of a guy who used an old Pentax c-mount lens in
a camera with incredible results, but I'm not finding it... I was also
researching old Kern-Paillards on e-bay, but I was worried even being
c-mount they wouldn't suit due to focus distance, it would make me lose
quite some time from shipping etc, since I'm from Brazil.

Maybe the best thing is to create a sort of list of the lenses we've been
using and posting resulting images for people to see. I'll post two of the
test videos later today at our blog, I'm just finishing them - maybe having
a visual can help more.

Cheers,

flavio