[Elphel-support] Elphel NC353L long exposures

Niko Lavonen nlavonen at kurp.hut.fi
Tue Aug 14 06:37:45 PDT 2012

Hello,

We here at Metsähovi Radio Observatory acquired an NC353L camera earlier
this summer for all-sky monitoring of weather conditions. Overall we've
been pleased with the camera, but there is a problem with long exposures
we've not been able to figure out. It seems the camera won't do exposures
longer than approximately 38 seconds. Is there a known limitation in the
camera's hardware or software that imposes this limit? To get a view of
the night sky, we'd very much like to have the camera do exposures for up
to many minutes if needed.

We've observed that when the camera reaches the "maximum" exposure time,
it starts reporting that the exposure is 1/1000000 seconds, while it can
be seen from the images that the actual exposure is still in the order of
many sedconds. We've tried raising the AUTOEXP_EXP_MAX value higher than
the ~38 second limit, but the camera won't go higher. We've also tried
manually setting the exposure time to e.g. 60 or 120 seconds, but in
these cases the camera has frozen. Our camera firmware version is 8.2.7.

Regards,

Niko Lavonen
Research assistant
Aalto University Metsähovi Radio Observatory
Metsähovintie 114, 02540 Kylmälä, Finland
e-mail: nlavonen at kurp.hut.fi
Phone: 029-4424856