[Elphel-support] Can't communicate with Elphel353

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Fri Sep 2 09:43:01 PDT 2011

Diana,

Your most likely problem is insufficient light. By default camera has
autoexposure turned on, so it increases the exposure time (up to the default
limit of 500ms) if it is too dark, and frame rate can never get higher than
1/Texposure. You may decrease that limit (i.e. in the camera GUI) to lower
value and increase analog gain (default is 2.0, can get up to 15.75 but in
that case there will be no room for white balancing).

You may easily see if the frame rate is limited by exposure - in the camera
GUI
http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=File:Controls_with_blank.jpeg
there is frame rate indication near the top (2.5fps on the picture). If it
is green - the exposure is limited by the sensor/compressor (not a very good
example on the screenshot - such low fps is caused by external camera
synchronization, free running camera should have 10.8 fps in JPEG and just
under 15 fps in JP4 mode). If the fps color changes to red - the exposure is
a limiting factor.

If you have a low power computer/graphic card it can also limit the frame
rate. You may try
mplayer rtsp://192.168.0.9 -vo null
to test the frame rate without displaying images - in that case the
indicated frame rate will match the incoming stream.

Andrey