[Elphel-support] datarate issue - HDD recording, while streaming.

Nathan Clark nathan at nathanclark.com.au
Tue Oct 11 21:24:16 PDT 2011

Forwarding a short discussion regarding datarate limitations recording to
HDD while running streamer simultaneously. Continuing discussion here so
that others may benefit.

*Problem: *
Cannot record to HDD with high datarates when streamer is running.

*Cause:*
Streamer running with high datarate results in high CPU usage causing
bottleneck.

*Fix:*
• Reduce CPU requirements of webserver
• Reduce CPU requirements of streamer

*Is it possible to have the streamer skip every n frames?*
This would potentially halve the datarate (if skipping every 2nd frame) and
as such significantly lower the cpu requirement.
The reduced temporal resolution of the stream would still be okay for
viewing in many circumstances.

Oleg,

• I get a similar cpu% usage for php instances.
• I do need the use of the streamer, while recording to SSD over sata.

Cheers,

Nathan