[Elphel-support] Some questions regarding the stereo/3D turn key camera

Doron Nakar doron at cellsory.com
Wed May 18 10:34:35 PDT 2011

Hi,

Before we start a project based on the Elphel camera, we need to have
crucial information for basic application matching.

I understand that the mailing list is the best support option, so here are
my questions:

regarding model: NC353L-359-STEREO
1) Our application requires low latency (close to real time). considering
the other aspects (of bit rate & 3D HDTV image quality), what latency can I
achieve with this camera? is it possible to have it ~1 frame?
2) Since we use the camera for real time streaming purposes it is very
important to limit the maximum bit rate or use it in constant bit rate mode.
is this supported (maximum bit rate)? can we expect 3D HDTV quality in
8-12Mbits?
3) What is the typical/stand by/maximum power consumption of the module? can
it use a single Li-Ion battery voltage supply (3.6v)?
4) does the encoding module support h264? If not, is Ogg Theora good enough
(for the stated bit rate & latency requirements)?
5) What typical image quality can we expect from the sensor/lens
combination? do you have sample footage for the NC353L-359-STEREO? does it
have an image stabilizer HW/SW?

I would be glad to clarify any issue regarding the questions in case some
are not clear enough.

Thanks in advance,

Doron