[Elphel-support] Scanline sequence in compressor

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Mon Feb 14 10:16:54 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Alex Gomez <alexgomez623 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Andrey. As a follow up, do you have a timing description of the
> behavior of the memory controller and the compressor? Or is my best best to
> run the simulation and look at the behavior there?

The distribution should include files for functional simulation with Icarus
Verilog and GTK Wave. I do not use timing simulation as even functional is
rather slow. For timing I just use attic timing analysis.

> Also, I was able to implement 1dimensional edge detection by modifying
> mcontr353.v.

Alex, I would suggest not to additionally complicate memory controller, but
rather put processing before it

> Now I need to run 2dimensional edge detection, which requires a window of
> at least 3x3 pixels. My idea is to use the currently unused channel 1 to
> buffer a portion of the image (similar to the compressor buffer), run the
> edge detection on 3x3 windows read from the buffer, and then output directly
> to memory using channel 3 or a similar scheme (the alternative would be to
> write to memory the way the compressor does, but I think that is more
> complicated). Then I could check the result using the RAW image download.
> What do you think of this plan? Does it seem feasible?

I would recommend using the data in channel 2 (going to compressor) - data
there is formatted in 20x20 (overlapping) tiles, so you can use even 5x5,
not just 3x3 kernels

Andrey