[Elphel-support] Questions regarding "zoom in ... now enhance" blog post

Florent Thiery florent.thiery at ubicast.eu
Tue Apr 12 06:28:41 PDT 2011

Hello,

First, please let me introduce our use case; we are trying to use Elphel
cameras (353 + Computar 4-8mm 1/2") to get maximum resolution (> FullHD), 25
fps video.

Our current problems are about image quality when zooming on details
(blurred images); in other terms, we are trying to improve the rendering
quality as much as possible to have cleaner images. In this context, last
year we implemented http://code.google.com/p/gst-plugins-elphel/ but only
changing the debayering algorithm did not improve the quality enough for our
application (at least not when compared to the processing overhead).

I was wondering about the method described in the awesome article "Zoom in
... now enhance":

   - are there any specifics about the method being for Eyesis only (my
   guess is it's not) ?
   - regarding the calibration, what are the invariable factors ? Is the
   calibration required for:
      - every camera model/generation (depending on camera/sensor
      manufacturing design/process variations) ?
      - every lens model (depending on lens model) ?
      - every lens tuning (zoom level / focus / iris ...) ?
      - climatic condition changes (temperature, ...) ?
   - the hidden question behind this is: how can this technique be used in
   production ?
      - For a given camera/lens combination, could a public database of
      tuning data reduce the calibration requirement (in a similar fashion to
      A-GPSes which download correction data from the network to increase
      performance on low-quality reception and/or chips
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS) ?
      - is there a hope of having such a feature (in the long term)
      integrated in the camera itself (i.e. grabbing an mjpeg stream
who had the
      corrections made right before the encoding) ?

Thanks

Florent