[Elphel-support] questions about 353 camera

Sebastian Pichelhofer sebastian.pichelhofer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 09:29:16 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 17:13, Schuster, Sebastian
<Sebastian.Schuster at kmweg.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some question about my 353 camera:
>
> My first question is about the Camera Control Interface. When I change the
> settings for the resolution, can I save them on the camera or do I have to
> change them everytime when the camera is powered up?

They are reset to default values at boot time.

You can add a startup script that sets the desired parameters on boot
time though.

> Second one:
> Using the command line, e.g. vlc rtsp://192.168.0.9:554 -V x11, is there a
> list of commands I can use? Are these commands related to the VLC plaver or
> to the camera or both?

Not related to the camera. Best check the VLC manual or website for a
list of possible commands.

One that is very important for low latency streaming from Elphel
cameras is --rtsp-caching (integer)

    Sets the default caching (buffering) value for RTSP streams, in
milliseconds.

If I remember correctly the default value is around 5000 (5 seconds).
Depending on resolution/framerate/compression settings of the camera
you can go down to as low as 10-20 which basically gives realtime
video (lower latency than what we achieved with any other player like
mplayer or gstreamer)

Regards Sebastian