[Elphel-support] developing Elphel 353 camera code (for ZoneMinder video surveillance, RTSP)

Gary Crum gc2488 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 16:53:40 PDT 2010

Hi All, members of support-list at support.elphel.com,

I am working with an Elphel 353 camera, and the ZoneMinder 1.24.2 software
for video surveillance running on a separate computer running Linux Mint 9
(based on Ubuntu 10.04).  Any related interest here?

My main question:  *Can anyone point me to instructions for flashing new
code to the 353 camera?*  I found and followed instructions for obtaining
and building source code, but I don't see the link to flashing and testing
instructions.

Read on for more details!

The Elphel wiki page about ZoneMinder use here is good, and suggests that
the best solution for this setup will be to use the relatively new RTSP
streaming support in both the camera and ZoneMinder:
http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Elphel_cameras_and_Zoneminder

I have tried using the RTP/RTSP solution, and with verbose debugging enabled
in ZoneMinder I see this error in log files:
10/11/10 17:14:43.184461 zmc_m4[6275].FAT-zm_rtsp.cpp/471 [Unable to get RTP
Info identifier from response 'RTSP/1.0 200 OK

I obtained source code to ZoneMinder (using "apt-get source --compile
zoneminder"), changed it to not require the RTP Info identifier, but then I
see failure of the ffmpeg MJPEG codec to decode frames.  I wasn't quite able
to enable full debugging in the ffmpeg library as used by ZoneMinder.

So, now I want to go at it from the other side, looking at the
implementation of RTSP in the Elphel 353 camera.  I "dove in" and setup my
development environment for the camera firmware and compiled it all.
Everything in KDevelop is looking good, free software is great.  I see the
relatively new implementation of RTSP in the source file
apps/astreamer/rtsp.cpp, with many commented out lines, maybe I can help
improve this code and more fully conform to the RTSP specification.  (For
example, the RTSP specification at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2326.txt does
indeed require an RTP-Info field, in section 12.33.)

I have not yet flashed the Elphel 353 camera with the code I have built, can
anyone point me at instructions for doing this?  I think I came across these
instructions at one time, but today I don't see the instructions, looking at
http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Main_Page .

The firmware on the camera I am using is release 8.0.4, and I just checked
out and built the current 8.0.8 software using CVS.

Thanks,
-Gary
gc2488 at gmail.com or crum at cs.utah.edu
tel. (801)449-1426