[Elphel-support] Disk inode limitation

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Thu Nov 25 21:39:02 PST 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Rock <rock at peppa.com> wrote:

>  FYI,
>
>  The stock CF disks runs out of inode space when you exceed 982 files.
>
>  The busybox mkfs.ext2 has no help so I used stock options to re-make these
>  disks.
>
>  I've done this to fix the problem:
>
>  umount /dev/hdb1
>  mkfs.ext2 -N 12000 /dev/hdb1  # We need about 11000 files for production

Rock,

I would recommend you to use *.mov container, not the individual JPEG (or
JP4 if you need better quality iamges) files - the system can be terribly
slow when handling so many files - this is why we never bothered to increase
default number. Using *.mov container is the most CPU-efficient way to
record many images with camogm, there  are utilities to cut the file into
frames. Alternatively you can write your program - just skip the mov header
and index, all the rest will be just merged JPEG-format files, including
Exif headers - nothing more or less. You can use markers (0xff followed by
specific non-zero values - these combinations can not appear in the
bitstream itself - all 0xff-s are escaped by 0x00 there).