[Elphel-support] How to do averaging on the FPGA?

Oleg K Dzhimiev oleg at elphel.com
Wed Nov 10 10:10:24 PST 2010

Dear Jens,

Our goal is to do an image averaging of ~5 frames on the FPGA.

It would be easier to start with averaging of 2^x frames.

We thought about implementing the averaging at the point in sensorpix.v
> where the FPN-correction-data is processed.
> We would replace the FPN-correction with the averaging. What would be the
> simplest way accessing the SDRAM of the FPGA to buffer and access the
> frames?

In the x3x3 project there is an "mcontr" module. It has channels for
writing/reading to/from SDRAM. You need to add new channels.

 What would be the most convenient way to realize this?

The most convenient way is to use the 10359 board - it's a mux board for 3
sensors, but:
1. it has the same fpga and the same SDRAM.
2. there's a little chance to break something in the 10353's fpga code
3. the memory controller is simplier in 10359

The 10359-10353 interface is the same as with the sensor -
Vact,Hact,PXD[11:0].

It would be nice if you describe your algorithm in terms of memory
transactions, data flow and timing.
1. fps/5 frame rate?
2. store intermediate sum, read it line by line and sum up with the incoming
frame lines, store back the results, output the result with the last
incoming frame?

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Oleg Dzhimiev
Elphel, Inc.