[Elphel-support] Viewfinder / preview considerations

Cinema Project | Sebastian Pichelhofer cinema at elphel.com
Tue Nov 9 01:43:29 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 23:54, François Demange
<francois.demange at ubicast.eu> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I confirm we used a 40ms, 25 fps setting w/ JP4.
>
> I am rather new to the elphel and development worlds, and I hope you
>
> Basically, we are trying achieve the highest possible horizontal
> resolution for custom pan and scan within the frame, while keeping a
> decent frame rate.
> Since we're going to run some detection within the frame, the pan and
> scan cannot be done dynamically within the sensor, which would have
> yielded better results...
>
> In any case, i truly believe pushing the sensor's limits that way
> could be of interest to fiction guys looking for a cheap way to make
> special effects, like post production panning, judder correction and
> what not.
>
> On another subject, the dual stream LAN/SATA is an interesting
> feature, if one could dump both, the downsampled stream could be used
> for a quick edit and conform job within an NLE system.
> Such proxying features are done internally by some hard drives such as
> the firestore line from Focus Enhancements, which also enables live
> logging of clips through a web interface over wifi, and that gets
> really handy when on set !
>
> Exactly how much hardware/software hacking would be required for us to
> get the camera to dump to SATA ? Wouldn't that be be more expensive
> than just to buy a new sample ?

http://www3.elphel.com/price_list
10369 	IO board: CF/IDE/SATA, RS232, GPIO, ... 	$500

Replacing the board inside the enclosure is easily possible on your
own if you are careful.

No software hacking is required to do that, its a quite comon standard feature.

Regards Sebastian