[Elphel-support] Elphel performance, Framerate / JP4

Andreas Bean office at beanbox.com
Sun May 23 11:50:54 PDT 2010

Hello,

I just tried to get high quality frames.

I have set TRIG_PERIOD=12000000 which gives me 8 frames per second.
At full resolution and jpeg quality 90% camogm records continuously.
Each frame is about 900kb.

Then I tied to increase the quality to 95%. With this setting camogm stops
after more or less 25 frames. Then I tried to switch to JP46.
But that doesn't improve the situation. Why?
I have read that JP46 skips some operations and should be faster, therefore.
But I don't see that.

Is 95% at 8 full resolution frames per second the limit?
Or in other words, how can I get the maximum quality out of the cam?

At the Apertus Project it's written that the cam can record 15 full
resolution
frames per second in JP4 raw mode. Unfortunately the jpeg quality is not
mentioned.
What could it be?

Then I tried to post-process JP4 and JP4-HDR, unsuccessfully. JP4 worked
fine
with elphel_dng. So the question is, whats the speed improvement of JP4
compared
to color jpeg und how could it be post processed?
Regarding JP4-HDR, is it supported already with the MT9P001 and how could it
be post processed?

I know, a lot of questions. I really tried to answer them myself, but I
can't find
enough information.

Thanks,
Andreas