[Elphel-support] Rebroadcast the live streaming?

Alexandre Poltorak alexandre at elphel.com
Tue May 18 11:00:32 PDT 2010

Hi Esteban,

As Andrey wrote VideoAPI was designed for 333 camera and is not available on
353 series.

By default 8.0.* firmware stream in unicast, so if your cameras just have
unique IP it's OK. You can receive several streams to one PC for transcoding
and restreaming. You can also switch the streamer to multicast mode. (in
parameters editor) in this case you will also have to setup unique IP and
multicast addresses.

In both cases the stream is accessible on rtsp://camera_IP:554

To transcode & restream you can use VLC, for example :
vlc rtsp://192.168.0.9:554 --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=theo,vb=3600,scale=0.5,fps=10}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ogg,dst=0.0.0.0:8080
}}'

This command open the camera stream (unicast or multicast), resize it *0.5,
limit FPS to 10, Video Bitrate to 3600, re-encode the stream in theora and
stream it on all interfaces on the port 8080.

To open this encoded stream on a client PC (may be over internet) you just
need to open with vlc http://vlc_server_ip:8080

You can also use GStreamer framework to reencode & restream.

Best regards,
Alexandre Poltorak