[Elphel-support] Smart Camera Required for Surveillance Development

Elphel Support | Sebastian Pichelhofer sebastian at elphel.com
Thu Mar 4 08:39:24 PST 2010

Hello Prev

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Prev Ravanth <
prev-ravanth.mohanram at india.thalesgroup.com> wrote:

>  Dear Sir,
>
>   I am working for  Thales which is into a security services domain.
> We are currently working for a R & D project which aims at developing a
> middle ware on wireless sensor networks for security surveillance
> application.
> We are planning to use smart cameras as sensors.
> We intend  to connect this SBC to a CMOS sensor or a USB camera and use it
> as a smart camera for our testing purposes.
>
>  I would like to have following information from your side.
>
>  1.Is this Camera is fully opened for any kind of application development.
> ie. Can I install jre 1.5 (Java Runtime Environment) on this board and run
> my java code in it ?

Both the complete source code and hardware is 100% open and protected by the
GNU GPL. You can do almost anything with enough time and efforts. We have
not done any particular tests with installing jre inside the camera but
considering there are implementations on other embedded devices it should be
possible.

The main interfaces the camera uses are PHP & C.

>  2.Which Linux distribution / kernel version is loadable  on this board?

Our cameras are shipped with a modified axis distribution based on kernel
2.6.19

> 3.Does this VGA chip set on this board supports capabilities such as video
> capturing,video compression  etc

We use an FPGA for video processing and compression.

>  4.Do you offer any technical support after buying the board from you.

We do have a public mailing list for technical support and try to help as
much as possible with the limited time and resources we have.
In general we encourage customers to first try to find their answers on our
wiki or the archive of the mailing list like described here:
http://www3.elphel.com/support

> 5.Is there any proprietary related stuff with this board.

No! Its 100% free software and open hardware: GNU GPL

If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards
Sebastian Pichelhofer