[Elphel-support] Fpga Firmware

André Pouliot andre.pouliot at cegeptr.qc.ca
Wed Jun 9 12:40:02 PDT 2010

Hi,

You probably don't know me. I work for a research
center(http://www.c2t3.qc.ca/) who bought a camera from you (nc353l). I
also helped previously in the open graphics project(OGP). Maybe you
heard of that project it was a project with the goal of developing an
fpga video card.

Where I work, what we intent to do is, to offload processing to the
camera so that we can detect when something of interest happen. This
event would send a signal to an operator who could then look at the
camera.

That being said. I was looking at the different resources available on
the processing board. After consideration I determined that only the
FPGA is available for anything with important algorithm requirement.

For the last few days I was looking at the code in the FPGA. To try to
see how it work. I must say it took me quite some time to be able to
graph the general data flow between the different modules and how
everything seem to be connected together. After doing that I know that
the system work and where I could connect the module I plan to develop.
But even that will need some change to the underlying code to be able to
work.

What I would really like would be if it was possible to do a code
reorganisation. I know it's something quite massive, I would suggest to
do it step by step. But it will help in the long run when developing
FPGA code. I'm not suggesting a code rewrite of the modules but on the
top level a few change. Something that we would discuss first.
Reorganise the code so the architecture become simpler. It would become
easier for a new developer to become involved. And it would help with
code portability in the long run.

For example the registers to become embedded in their dedicated
modules, so we only have one command bus. Reorder how some modules are
placed in the files so that the modules that work together are together.
Also make each modules in it's own files so we can find it more easily.

I have a few more idea. If someone is interested, I'll be waiting for
your reply

André Pouliot ing. jr
Formateur-chercheur
C2T3,  Cégep de Trois-Rivières