[Elphel-support] optical filters for AR use?

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Mon Jul 12 06:20:55 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm new to Elphel cameras, but I've been looking for a solution for a
specific task for some time now.

I need to track markers in outdoor environments, which I can place on
specific objects. The markers ideally should not be obviously visible to
the naive observer, and should work ideally both in day-light and night
time, with artificial human-visible lights around. (spotlights,
streetlights, beamers, etc.)

I was contemplating on using either UV or IR light, and cameras with
optical filters, but these seem to be quite difficult to come buy. I see
that CCDs ordered with Elphel cameras have the option of having the IR
filter removed (or not installed) - which is a good start.

but, I wonder, are there optical filters available to allow only UV or
IR light to enter the optics of the camera? or, with the IR filter
removed, can one filter for IR wavelengths by software?

any hints or suggestions welcome.

Akos