[Elphel-support] 100 fps questions

Brian Burke burke.brian.a at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:27:15 PST 2010

I'm interested in purchasing an Elphel 353 for a finish line application.  However, I'm wondering if someone can answer a few questions for me first...

1) Can the 353 capture 640x480 video at 100+ fps even when recording in "jpeg" mode - i.e. writing individual JPG's for each frame?  If so, which would be better (i.e faster & more reliable) to write to - CF or HDD?

2) Can the 353 be configured to capture non-standard dimension video - say, 64x960 - and still record at 100+ fps?  Since the finish line is "vertical", it'd be nice to be able to trade space in the horizontal dimension in exchange for the vertical.

3) There's an excellent 100 fps finish line video called "100 FPS with timestamps watermarked" at http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Images_and_videos_examples.  My broad question is, how can I do that?  I know how to add a timestamp (from the EXIF data) watermark to an individual JPG using PHP.  To get the effect in that video, would it be better/easier to:

a) Record individual JPG's, watermark them all with a script, then merge them together into a movie, or
b) Record an MJPEG in a MOV/OGG, and somehow parse through the frames (using some PHP extension, perhaps?) adding the watermark, or
c) Is it possible to add the watermark to each frame as it's being recorded - i.e. (presumably) modifying camogm?

Thanks for taking the time to help.